RED RIBBON CLUB
Red Ribbon Club was started in M.V.Muthiah Government Arts college for Women, in 2012. Since its inception, it has been conducting various programmes to promote the objectives of the club thereby developing the social skills of the students.
Red Ribbon Club is a movement started by the Government of India in Educational Institutions through which students will be making awareness of AIDS. The Club aims at harnessing the potential of the youth by equipping them with correct information on HIV / AIDS Prevention, Care and Support and Treatment. It also aims in building their capacities as peer educators in spreading messages on positive health behavior in an enabling environment and increasing voluntary blood donation from among youth. The clubs are envisaged to instill the values of service, develop healthy life styles, and increase access to safe and adequate quantities of blood to all the needy by promotion of regular voluntary blood donation
The club organizes awareness camps on AIDS particularly on the AIDS Day in village areas. The volunteers engage themselves in taking processions displaying play cards, distributing pamphlets regarding AIDS and the way of healthy living.
Students of this college are mobilized and formed a group that is termed as Red Ribbon Club. It is a platform where skill and knowledge building session are conducted for the student population.
GOAL AND OBJECTIVES:
- To prevent and reduce the occurrence of new sexually transmitted infections (incidence), particularly HIV among the youth.
- To spread awareness among the youth particularly the students about the dreaded decease the HIV/AIDS.
- To reduce new occurrences of HIV infection among youth by raising their risk perception through awareness on HIV prevention methods.
- To motivate youth and build their capacity as peer educators and change agents by developing their skills on leadership, negotiation, and team building.
- To promote voluntary blood donation among youth.