Functions of Academic Council:
- The Academic Council is solely responsible for all academic matters, such as, framing of academic policy, approval of courses, regulations and syllabi.
- The Council includes faculty at all levels and also experts from outside, including representatives of the university and the government. The decisions taken by the Academic Council will not be subjected to any further ratification of other statutory bodies of the university.
- Scrutinizes and approves with or without modification the proposals of the Boards of Studies with regard to courses of study, academic regulations, curricula, syllabi and modifications thereof, instructional and evaluation arrangements, methods, procedures relevant thereto etc., paper setting and evaluation.
- Makes regulations regarding the admission of students to different programmes of study in the college in accordance with the directives/guidelines of the State Government / University.
- Exercises general supervision over the academic work of the College and to give direction regarding methods of instruction, evaluation research improvements in academic standards.
- Makes arrangements for the conduct of examinations in conformity with the rules.
- Takes measures to improve standards of teaching, training and research. Establishment or abolition of departments, and the rules governing the academic functioning of the college, discipline, attendance and awards.
- Appoints sub-committees to advice on such specific matters.
- Considers the recommendations of the sub-committees and to take such action as the circumstances in each case may require.
- Takes periodical review of the activities of the departments and to take appropriate action (including making of recommendations to the Governing Body) with a view to maintaining and improving the standards of instruction.
The Academic Council is constituted as per the norms given by UGC as given below:
- The Principal (Chairman).
- All Heads of Departments in the college.
- Four teachers of the college representing different categories of teaching staff by rotation on the basis of seniority of service in the college.
- Not less than four experts from outside the college representing such areas as Industry, Commerce, Law, Education, Medicine, Engineering etc., to be nominated by the Governing Council Body.
- Three nominees of the University.
- A faculty member nominated by the Principal (Member Secretary).
Frequency of Meeting: Once in a Year