POs & PSOs
- Students will be able to define geography and be able to describe in good detail the major subdivisions of the field of geography; explain what geographers do; and how geography relates to a variety of real-world jobs (all majors).
- Students will gain factual knowledge about the world and its regions focusing on the diversity of natural and cultural landscape features, and they will know some basic principles, definitions, and themes in the subject matter of geography (all majors).
- Students will attain increased global awareness and become more geographically informed people.
- Students will know the history and development of urbanization in recent times. Students will be familiar with the variety of issues and problems studied by urban and regional planners and how they apply their expertise to resolve these issues and problems in modern urban America (Environmental Studies and Sustainability).
- Students will be able to apply their understanding of land use and planning principles in a manner that will allow them to elicit and formulate an effective plan.
- Students will be able to effectively articulate their proposals both written and orally and be capable of advocating on behalf of their plan, as well as to negotiate with those who may oppose their plan (Environmental Studies and Sustainability).
- Students will have a basic knowledge of the theoretical and applied realms of geographic information science (GIS).
After completing B.Sc Programme in Geography, students will be able to
|PO1:||Demonstrate knowledge of physical and cultural features of the earth and locate them on a map.|
|PO2:||Know about the basic disciplines of Geography and its sub branches.|
|PO3:||Know the basic concepts and terminologies used in Geography like interior of the earth, plate tectonic, sea floor spreading, population growth, disasters, composition and structure of atmosphere, hydrosphere, etc.|
|PO4:||Differentiate between minerals and rocks, weather and climate, interior of the earth, basic industries, farming etc.|
|PO5:||Get information about the causes and effects of local, national and international problems like global warming, acid rain, ozone depletion, soil degradation, deforestation etc.|
- A geography degree will provide you with the knowledge and skills you need to begin a variety of rewarding careers. Geographers work as urban planners, GIS technicians and analysts, disaster preparedness planners, teachers, environmental scientists, remote sensing analysts, transportation planners, demographers, hydrologists and in a variety of other areas
- Students who complete Geography courses will examine the spatial organization of physical features and human activities at a variety of spatial scales from local to global. Students will be able to locate features on the surface of the earth, explain why they are located where they are, and describe how places are similar and/or different. Students will also examine human interactions with the environment and describe how physical and cultural landscapes change through time. Students completing physical geography courses will be able to describe the processes that drive earth's climate, create landforms, and govern the distribution of plants and animals. Students completing human geography will analyze and describe cultural phenomenon such as population, development, agriculture, language, and religion.
After completing M.Sc Programme in Geography, students will be able to
|PO1:||Ability of Problem Analysis: Student will be able to analyses the problems of physical as well as cultural environments of both rural and urban areas. Moreover, they will try to find out the possible measures to solve those problems. Individual and teamwork: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.|
|PO2:||Application of GIS and modern Geographical Map Making Techniques: They will learn how to prepare map based on GIS by using the modern geographical map-making techniques. Application of modern instruments: Students will be able to learn the application of various modern instruments and by these; they will be able to collect primary data.|
|PO3:||Development of Observation Power: As a student of Geography Course, they will be capable to develop their observation power through field experience and in future, they will be able to identify the socio-environmental problems of a locality.|
|PO4:||Development of Communication Skill and Interaction Power: After the completion of the course, they will be efficient in their communication skill as well as power of social interaction. Some of the students are being able to understand and write effective reports and design credentials, make effective demonstrations, and give and receive clear instructions.|
|PO5:||Ethics: Recognize different value systems including your own, understand the moral dimensions of your decisions, and accept responsibility for them. Understand Environmental Ethics and Sustainability: Understand the impact of the acquired knowledge in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of need for sustainable development.|
|PO6:||Self-directed and Life-long Learning: Acquire the ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context social, environmental and technological changes.|
The course aims to develop general transferable skills and act as a bridge between first degree and PhD. Through the supervision process and the writing of an MPhil thesis students develop their skills in assessing contrasting theories, explanations and policies; collecting, critically judging, evaluating and interpreting varied forms of evidence; preparing maps and diagrams; employing various methods of collecting and analysing spatial and environmental information; combining and interpreting different types of evidence to tackle specific problems; and recognising the ethical and moral dimensions of study.
- To give students with relevant experience at a first-degree level the opportunity
- To carry out focused research in the discipline under close supervision;
- To give students the opportunity to acquire or develop skills and expertise relevant to their research interests;
- Permit close analysis of existing original research data.
After completing M.Phil Programme in Geography, students will be able to
|PO1:||Contribute knowledge of geography in response to issues in their specialized area to Identifying, interpreting and analyzing geographic problems and processes.|
|PO2:||Prepare objective scientific approach to be able to address research problems in Applied Geography and allied fields and develop critical thinking and skills to analyze problems related to their research themes.|
|PO3:||Foster confidence among students enabling them to be able to interact with the respondents while collecting primary data by developing effective communications skills and ensure that the lessons are self-directed and lead to lifelong learning’s.|
|PO4:||Defending and communicating facts, ideas and research findings via written, oral, graphical and quantitative outlets to carry out individual research work and originality in tackling and solving problems, and acted autonomously in the planning and implementation of research.|
|PO5:||A comprehensive understanding of techniques, and a thorough knowledge of the literature, together with a practical understanding of how research and enquiry are used to create and interpret in their field applicable to their own research.|
Programme Specific Outcomes:
|PSO1:||Students learn about formation of landforms and identify various landforms around them.|
|PSO2:||Students learn about various economic activities of man and their spatial temporal distribution.|
|PSO3:||Students acquire knowledge of basic surveying and map making.|
|PSO4:||Students know about disasters, their causes and managing disasters.|
|PSO5:||Students come to know about geographical, socio-economic and political background of India.|
|PSO6:||Students apply geographical knowledge in their day to day life like being alert about disasters, weather and climate data.|
Programme Specific Outcomes:
The M.Sc. in geography program offers students the opportunity to advance their career aspirations through advanced study in the classroom and in the field. The programme in geography is tailored to meet the students’ specific educational, research and professional goals in mind. It focuses on spatial studies, qualitative as well as quantitative, and emphasizes on human-environment relationship.
|PSO1:||Design and conduct independent research in their chosen field in the discipline. Demonstrate knowledge of concepts, methods, and theories designed to enhance understanding of the natural world and human society.|
|PSO2:||Communicate the results and significance of their research in both written andoralform. Evaluate how historical events have been influenced by, and have influenced, physical and human geographic factors in local, regional, national, and global settings..|
|PSO3:||Examine social and environmental processes, with a particular focus on spaceand place, critical theory, practical application, analysis and intervention in chosen field within the discipline of Geography. Evaluate causes, consequences, and possible solutions to persistent, contemporary, and emerging global issues.|
|PSO4:||Follow establishes ethical guidelines for research and teaching. Have an in-depth understanding of and mastery of the literature in, at least oneparticulargeographic subfield.|
|PSO5:||Classify processes of environmental change and evaluate the relationship between human beings and their surroundings, bringing to bear knowledge from manydisciplines.|
|PSO6:||A geographer has better job opportunities in government departments, Cartographer, researcher, Teacher/Professor, Competitive Examinations, Government employer, GIS specialist, Climatologist, Transportation Manager, Surveyor, GPS Surveyors.|
Programme Specific Outcomes:
|PSO1:||To develops original thinking in the field of geography and geospatial sciences and carry out in dependent research of high quality in their specialized area.|
|PSO2:||To evaluates and suggests optimal measures to solve multi-dimension geographic problems through geospatial techniques and communicate research findings in various forums at national and international level.|
|PSO3:||Students acquires a greater understanding of the physical, socio-economic and demographic dimensions of geography and develop the capability of observation through field experience to identify the socio-environmental problem of the study area.|
|PSO4:||Provide hands-on training to use GIS/RS software; statistical software and GPS and develop communication powers for attending Seminars, workshops and writing scientific research papers for journals and books.|
|PSO5:||The students will be able to write effective reports and the dissertations prepared by students will enable them to carry their further research work.|
|PSO6:||Develop sensitivity towards societal responsibility and sustainable development and make them competent in applying their knowledge gained in different job sector.|